Thursday, March 31, 2011

Before and After

Remember these?
Here is the before/after picture.This is where they are located for now (look below... not on the grass, obviously), until I get bored with it. Originally I wanted to put a big statue in the circle of our stairs. You know, a big Caesar... Zeus? Then I thought a big plant display with reeds and cattails would be nice. But since I probably won't find a nice one for under $300 ($2000 for the statue -- I know. I looked.), I decided to go with a little sitting area.Chairs - $8 total
Material - Hollywood Teal (the closest to turquoise that I could find that I liked) at Joann Fabric. $6-ish with a 40% off coupon.
Batting - $10 (who knew that stuff was so pricey?)
Paint - free primer from our house. $1 white spray paint.
Picture frames - found them in our house and painted them.
Frame paint - $1.29
Vase - $.25 at a garage sale.
Table - $.25 picture frame on top of a $2 plant stand -- both found at a garage sale.

Total - Approx $27!... much better than a Zeus statue.
I have to say that Tom wasn't very impressed with the original purchase of the dark, ugly, smoky, 2nd hand chairs, but when he saw my completed vision, he is now aware that I can do anything. Finally!
And here is the before/after for Morgan's room.
Before
After
For her room I took out the big recliner (it will be used in the next project... the theater/game room). I bought the wall shelves for $3 at DI and painted them black. I bought the rocking chair at a garage sale for $15 or $20 and painted it white and made cushions for it (total cost was probably $10 for material and batting). I got the lamp at Goodwill for $6. And I think we had the rest already. The total cost of this makeover was around $35. Don't get me wrong, I'm not always a 2nd hand purchaser. Our other rooms are Z Gallerie, RC Willey, and Pier 1... but they're not as fun. They look like the show rooms and anyone can get that look. I like making it up and searching for great finds for cheap!

Here's a close up of this cute rocker.

4 comments:

The Knudsen Family said...

Those turned out great! Good Job.

The Parker Family said...

every thing turned out really cute Kelli, you did great.

Britney said...

Go Kelly! LOVE the sitting area and the little changes you made to Morgan's room. They make such a big difference and it looks awesome!

carrie said...

Way to go Kelli! I'm with you, I love finding a good deal, making it have a new life and giving it a little bit of my own personal style. Now if I could just find the motivation to get it all finished!