Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Real Estate Test Passer

Here's the scoop. My sister-in-law and family are 99% sure they are moving here so they came a few weeks ago to look for houses. We found a bunch of amazing ones, but the house that we are all in love with is the one they want (obviously). So here's where I come in... Besides being the super supportive sister-in-law, I am going to be their real estate agent!

I took the 90 hour, two week course from the Idaho Real Estate School (with a really fun teacher that made me feel like I was in high school again) thinking I would only be doing it for the sale of this one house (okay, two houses because their friends are moving too). Then I really loved it and found myself wanting to do more and more in real estate. Now, I've done stuff before (we used to own three duplexes and two single family houses) and I'm not really wanting to re-experience that. Being a landlord pretty much stinks (and that was edited for my sensitive readers). HOWEVER, when you can buy a 3 bedroom house for $50k, it kind of makes me rethink my hatred of landlordship. I mean, that's like a 20% rate of return if you rent it at market value! Hello people! The only problem is that if I wanted to invest, I would have to do it with cash. And that's just a lot of money to take out of my bank account but we are both self employed (not to mention Dave Ramsey adherents) and lenders don't really like it when you don't have a formal "job" so a loan is out.

So here I am wanting to invest in real estate and wanting to earn the cash to do it debt free. I need to sell some houses! And that's the story of why I want to be a real estate agent.

HIRE ME PLEASE, fellow Idahoans!

2 comments:

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

Good for you, Kelly! That's great that you are officially a realtor! Sorry, not moving to Idaho any time soon (that I know of)!

Ogden Family said...

Fantastic! It feels good to do something where you are known as Kelly and not his wife or her mom. (: I just started a little home decorating and love the feeling of earning a tiny bit, so hopefully your real estate earnings will be substantially more. Good luck with finding the gems out there... there are so many to choose from right now.
Heather