Friday, July 1, 2011

The Latest Project

I scored this gem at a garage sale two weeks ago for $2. Two dollars! Can you believe it? I bought some stain and polish at Lowes ($15-ish but I have a bunch left over), and some new upholstery ($3 at JoAnn's). Grand total for the chair... $20 and I have extra stain and polish!
What I learned: I sanded the chair first instead of stripping it. The guy at Lowes suggested it and I think he was wrong. It took hours to sand and I didn't get all of the other color off so the chair is two-toned (which I love, it just wasn't the plan). Also, it takes a long time to stain and polish. It's easy, you just have to wait 24 hours for it to dry before you can apply another coat. I like how it turned out, but I would probably paint next time.

If you have any tips for "next time," please feel free to comment. I need all the help I can get!

7 comments:

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

I love it! I need to learn how to reupholster.

ShellRich said...

I used to refinish things for fun before the kids came along. Strip first (if at all) to remove the varnish. Then, you'll do a whole lot of sanding to remove the stain. If you decide to do this again, you can use a palm sander for the flat areas- that'll make things go a bit quicker for you.
Great job on the chair - it looks beautiful!

Amber said...

Very cute chair! I've refinished lots of furniture. I never sand (and hardly ever prime). I just paint. And it seems to always turn out!

ericksonzone said...

It turned out so good! I love it! I want to go garage sale-ing. I think Jason is reluctant to let me because he's afraid of all the things I will find. :)

The Knudsen Family said...

What a great deal. You did such a good job on the redo. It looks great.

Ogden Family said...

Sweet Chair Baby! Love your craftiness.
Heather

sarah said...

I love being best friends with such a talented person. Can you come back to my house?

Love ya!