Thursday, July 14, 2011

Conceived in 1979

Although it's true, the title of this post is not talking about me. It is this new chair that I know you have all been waiting for, even if you didn't know it.

This was definitely the most expensive and time consuming project (and that's including the piano), but I think it is my favorite (every new project is my favorite, by the way).

I got the vintage chair on craigslist for $35. The lady wouldn't budge in price. I asked her if it was in a smoking home (not that that would prevent me from buying it but it tells me how much work I need to do) and she said, "oh heavens no," so quickly. What I learned... don't believe when someone jumps to the answer she knows you want to hear so fast. Maybe they didn't smoke in the home, but after 32 years of 2nd hand smoke, the poor chair has lung cancer. So I pulled off the groovy red and orange material and washed the cushions, which helped. Cutting and sewing the piping onto the fabric for the cushion took the longest -- hours. I'm not a seamstress!

The next two pictures are to show you the difference that glazing makes. It brings out the wood work a lot.
Here's the breakdown:
Chair - $35
Primer - $3
Paint - $3 (the color is Heirloom White from The Home Depot)
Upholstery - $20 from JoAnn's (which was 1/2 price! Gulp. But I loved it so much.)
Total Cost for Chair - $61
Would you buy this for $61? I think I would.

6 comments:

Jana Allen said...

It looks so good Kelli! You are so talented!

NickandCarly said...

You are really good at all the furniture stuff! When we get a bigger place you totally have to help me decorate it! I want to learn how to do all of these things.

Michelle said...

love that fabric kelli!! dang craigslist lady ruined you're buy!

The Parker Family said...

The chair looks amazing Kelli. I love all of your projects. You are so talented and creative.

The Knudsen Family said...

That chair really turned out great. You do such a good job.

The Knudsen Family said...

That chair really turned out great. You do such a good job.