Monday, June 20, 2011

Language of Love

You've heard of the five languages of love, right? Words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch? Yeah, those languages. My language is definitely "quality time." The one I care about least is receiving gifts. I seriously don't care if I get a gift for my birthday, Christmas, etc. -- and don't get me wrong, those are very important dates to me that I celebrate for weeks in advance. The problem is that just because I don't need gifts, I think that other people don't and I don't give them when I should. It's not a money issue -- although I am pretty frugal -- it's that I don't think it's important. For instance, I think it means more for me to make a trip to Utah to visit people than buy a gift for the people I visit. I end up spending more money and time, but it's worth it to me.

I have recently realized that a bunch of people close to me speak "love" differently than I do -- with gifts -- so next year I will do better speaking back to them. I hope they know how much I love them. I'm just telling them with MY language and not THEIRS.

What is your language of love?

2 comments:

Amber said...

Mine is gifts :)

ShellRich said...

I agree with you completely. silly material things, not so much for me.