Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas with Family

This Christmas we spent time with my parents in Lynndyl. We left home around 8pm on the 23rd pretty sure we remembered everything until we were a couple of hours out and realized that we forgot to turn the heat down. Soon after we realized we left the friendship bread starter that Tom was given that day on the fireplace. So, as we speak, the rapidly growing yeast is slowly stewing in the mistaken warmth of it's Christmas time home.

We got to my parents around 3am and were up and playing with Morgan as usual around 8 on Christmas Eve day. We went to Delta and did some last minute shopping then went home to make pecan pies (apparently I'm pretty good at that--hey, its just what I've heard) and Tom made stuffing for the Nielson family Christmas Eve dinner that is always at the Lynndyl town hall, AKA "The Princess" (courtesy of the mayoral reign of Connie Best during the 90's).

This is Morgan with my grandma, Camille (G.G., to Morgan).
The dinner was fantastic. We got to see almost the whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.). I'm not really close with some of my cousins so we probably didn't talk at all but the ones that I did talk to were great. Every year my grandma does the "Christmas pie," which is where a bunch of presents are in a basket with a cover on top. There are blue or pink strings tied to the presents and sticking out of the cover. Each young grandchild gets to pull one of the strings and keeps the present to which it is tied.

Here is Morgan unwrapping her present. It's a puppet pig.Morgan got her new pajamas that night with Shy and Jacks. Grandma and Grandpa gave them to her. Thanks! I've always had this thing with Christmas morning. When I believed in Santa I would wake everyone up around 5 or 6am to open presents and see what Santa brought. Once I learned the truth, nothing changed (unless I got worse). So, this Christmas I was going to try to sleep until 8 or so since I had minimal sleep the night before, but no, I think I woke up three times (with some help from Morgan) and was up for good at 6am. I figured I would be nice to everyone else and not wake them up that early so I took a shower and got ready for the day. That's why I am all made up and everyone else is in their PJ's in the pics.

Poor little Morgan was sick so I had to restrain her and suck her snot every morning.



We have one "believer" in the family so we were trying hard to not thank our spouses for what Santa left. Carly and Tom had more of a hard time with it. I think if Shy was doubting Santa's existence at all, she probably knows the truth if she was listening to us try to keep it alive. I think she already had her doubts because she told my mom that she knows that Santa is real because they wouldn't give her all the cool things that Santa did. Hmm, must be a common theme with that age group (see the post about a letter to Santa).

I have the best, most thoughtful husband in the world. For my gift he wrapped a bunch of books, dvds, and a blow dryer for me to hide the real present. He had the book I wrote printed and bound. He also had the cover designed and wrote about the book and the author (ME!) on it. It was seriously the best gift. Thanks babe! However, when he asked me to email the book to him I didn't check which file I sent and it ended up being an older one with only 2/3 of the book. So, for our anniversary in February I hope to get my whole entire book.

Grandma and Grandpa Cook always come around 7-ish to watch us open presents and have breakfast. We did a "homemade" Christmas this year. I made a watch for Shy and Tom had a picture of my dad and Morgan on his Harley Davidson aged and framed in a barbed-wire embellished frame. I think it looked wonderful and Tom put a lot of thought into it.

Nick drew for Tom and made a really cool serving platter with the design that says "Rich" any way you look at it -- all "Da Vinci Code" like.



By the time we were done with presents I was tired and took a nap with Morgan. Then we went over to G & G Nielson's house to exchange grandparent gifts. After that it was time to eat again and we went to Delta to G & G Cook's for turkey and casserole. I got sick that day and slept while everyone played phase 10.


It was a fun day and another successful Christmas. The rest of Lynndyl week was spent just hanging out, playing games and napping. Then we went to Salt Lake to stay with Tom's mom for the New Year...

1 comment:

The Knudsen Family said...

It sounds like you guys had a fun and eventful Christmas. That is such a neat present Tom gave to you. What a creative idea. I am sad we weren't around to see you guys. Hopefully sometime soon we can meet up. I am glad you had a good Christmas.