Why? Because someone is paying us that amount to move out of our house by the 24th of August.
It started in November when Tom decided to take a leap of faith and start his own business. We didn't know where we would be so we decided to sell our house. We sent it out to my broker's list for a few weeks but never actually put it on the MLS because we decided that we didn't need to sell because we could stay here.
Then a few months ago this family called my broker and asked if we would still be interested in selling our house. They came over to look at it and made us an offer that was more than what we paid for it. We talked about it and decided that we would sell so that we could pay off our student loans (the only debt we have left). We used to be in debt somewhere around $1.5 million, which will be another post entirely and I'll tell you the whole story.
So they offer. We accept. The closing date was supposed to be July 15 but they had some financial issues and asked to extend to Sept. 1 and that was fine. Then it got closer and closer and I told my broker that I would not pack one box until after closing and I wanted two weeks to get out. He told that family and they asked if they could give us $50,000 to be out by August 24th so their kids could be ready for school. They also asked for up to 6 months to close on the house and they would pay rent every month until they close. But get this... if they don't close, we keep the house and the $50k. It's a good deal for us either way. And, either way, with the 50 grand and our savings, we will [most likely] be able to pay off the student loans.
There you go. A peek into our finances. The goal is to be debt free and we are SO close (relatively speaking, of course)!
11 hours ago