Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What's Up With Me

About 16 months into my mission I decided to take Thanksgiving day and go to a tanning bed (which wasn't a big deal because my companion was Hispanic and wasn't accustomed to celebrating the day anyway) to get ready for my return home. I found the only one open and walked into the slightly dirty, dark, Vietnamese owned shop and signed up for thirty minutes of UV exposure. If you have never fake-baked before, this is an amount of time reserved for the already dark people and since I had been in nylons and long skirts for 16 months, this was not me.

I left the place feeling fine, but by morning, I couldn't get up to exercise because I was so sick with fever and nausea due to the sunburn that had crept in overnight. When I looked in the mirror I noticed that my obviously red body had a long white line about the width of a tanning bed bulb from my shoulder to my foot. Funny, one of the bulbs was not working that day. That bulb turned out to be my saving grace though.

For the past week I have felt the same way I did the morning after the tanning bed experience. It started with aches and fever. Then turned to chills, vomiting, trouble breathing, now coughing. I went to Urgent Care on Sunday and the doctor told me to go to the ER because he thought it might be my appendix. Well, I'm no doctor but I knew my lower right quadrant of my abdomen wasn't in that kind of pain but I went anyway. We waited for an hour and a half before I decided to just leave and go home to sleep.

I slept for about 16 of the next 24 hours and the breathing pain went away. Today I woke up with a fever again and decided to call a family doctor -- who got me in. They did a urine sample, drew blood and sent me to have a chest x-ray. I have to go back Thursday to find out the results though. He thinks I might have pneumonia, maybe. He gave me an Rx and I started taking meds today. Yeah! Hopefully we find something out. I'm missing summer!

Morgan has learned to throw things away. So far she had disposed of her toothbrush and a sippy cup. She also took my lip gloss and rubbed the tip around her mouth without trying to eat it. That's my girl.

Thank you, ward friends, for helping me out with her for the past 5 days. I am so grateful for you and all that you have done for me.

6 comments:

ericksonzone said...

I hope you get good results in that they figure out what is causing you so much trouble. It doesn't sound fun. That's nice that your ward has been helping out.

Britney said...

YIkes, feel better! Being sick (and especially in the summer) is the worst. *hugs*

Susanna said...

I hope you get feeling better, Kelli, being a sick Mommy is the worst!!

The Parker Family said...

I'm sorry you're feelingso bad. I hope you feel better soon.

Mari said...

Tell Tom you need a vacay.....to Disneyland in November to make up for it!!!!!!! Wish I was there to help.

The Knudsen Family said...

I am so sorry that you were not feeling good. I hope you are feeling better. Sorry I know this comment is a little late but I was in Leamington and did not have a computer to check things out.