Thursday, March 11, 2010

V-Day Party

It was a while ago but I wanted to record (since this is basically my journal) what we did for this Valentines Day party we attended.

My friend, Angela, is an extreme go-getter who makes sure every minute of her day is taken by either family, service (she is the Relief Society president), exercise (teaches aerobics classes at the church and local school), and if there is any time left, she plans parties. This one was for Valentines Day but a couple of weeks after.

We arrived at Fiesta Guadalajara and had to pick a name tag. Ours were Lady and The Tramp. Then we were given an envelope with 5 or 6 random words in it. We had to write a love poem to our spouse using those words. We were then asked to read our poems in front of everyone. Tom was the first one to go and after him, nobody wanted to follow. Here is his poem:

Ode to Kelli,
My darling for your love I'll always work
As secretary, maid, or SODA JERK.
My sweet you've made me richer than John D.
(Rockefeller), and haven't starved me like that poor GANDHI.
My dear you make me want to do what's right,
Your love keeps me high like a STALACTITE.
My love your heart is always my key need,
Like plankton can't live without SEA WEED.
My lady your love makes me crazy like a RABID dog.
For you are my princess and I am your frog.

Mine wasn't quite as good but here it is:

Tom, Tom, Tom... at this SYMPOSIUM
I write to you this poem, sorry if it's dumb.
Until I met you, my heart was CATATONIC.
Now my PLASMA boils - isn't that ironic?
I will join you for all your adventures,
Even when we're old and wearing DENTURES.
Hey, lets go to Africa and see a big ANTEATER.
Remember how before Morgan came you had a small two-seater?
Every time I see you you get a big fat hug.
To finish off this poem -- remember the BEARSKIN RUG?

Before the party she had all the girls send her a song that reminds us of our husbands and she dedicated them all night. The guys were asked to think of one word that describes their wives and that word was written on a giant heart cookie. Tom's word was Snugglepuss (which is totally an inside joke) but he was told it could only be 10 letters so it ended up being "Snugglepus." We had a good laugh about that.

At the end of the night, the girls were given a card from our husbands and the guys were given cd's (with the songs from the night) with a little dedication from their wives.

It was a really cool party and a lot of thought was put into it.

1 comment:

Susanna said...

Wow, you two should work for Hallmark :) That sounds like so much fun! I seriously wish I was in your circle of friends, (you may be hearing that a lot from me!)