Monday, March 8, 2010

Not an Idaho Driver

I'm the kind of person who avoids government offices for as long as I can so it's no surprise that I wouldn't change my legal name to "Rich" for over three years. However, my bank called and mentioned that the IRS wants my real name on my bank accounts or I'll be fined (way to put it gently). That gave me a little kick in the direction of the Social Security Administration office last week. I took Morgan and we waited for an hour or for me to get my name changed -- and it's official!

I decided that since I was in the flow of changing my name, I should change my driver's license too (oh, you're supposed to do that within 90 days of moving to Idaho) so after the Social Security we headed over to the Driver's License Division. I had my marriage license, passport, Utah driver's license, and a power bill (everything I needed, or so I thought). This wait wasn't as long but when I handed the lady (side note: have you ever noticed that everyone who works in these kinds of offices has hair like it's the 80's) my stuff she looked at the marriage license and told me that it doesn't have the stamp they need so I couldn't get my Idaho license but I could do everything to get ready for it. I decided to go ahead and take the test, for which I had sort of skimmed over half of the manual while babysitting a crawling 10-month-old (meaning I couldn't concentrate at all).

I got to number 38 out of 40 (while trying to keep Morgan calm) and missed my 7th question, which totally means that I FAILED the drivers test. So there you have it. I guess I technically cannot legally drive in Idaho.

1 comment:

The Knudsen Family said...

I get you on the gov. offices thing. When we moved to Las Vegas they said that I had to take the drivers test since I wasn't 26 so I decided to wait so I wouldn't have to take the test and I could just get the license. So I did not get a NV license for until about 5 or 6 years after we had moved here. Good luck next time on the test.