Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nick and Carly

My brother, Nick, and sister-in-law, Carly flew to Boise to visit us a couple of weeks ago after a long summer installing security systems in California. We had such a good time. It had been almost a year since we'd seen them.

We took them to our favorite Thai restaurant in the area. I don't think it went over well with them, but I don't think they hated it either. I give them props for being willing to try it.

They came with us to our ward chili cook off. Tom was asked to be a judge beforehand and Nick was recruited after we arrived. I never realized there were so many ways to make chili. There were tons of desserts that the kids were asked to bring. We got the recipe for Tom's favorite (it wasn't everyone else's favorite, but Tom thought it was awesome) so here it is:

Hungry Man Cake

1 chocolate box cake
1 small instant chocolate pudding
½ cup sugar
¾ cup oil
¾ cup water
4 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
1 cup chocolate chips

Mix both dry mixes & sugar. Add oil & water. Beat each egg separate and add 1 at a time. Mix, add sour cream. Mix well, stir in chocolate chips. Spray Bundt cake pan. Bake 350 degrees for 45-50 min. Check with long tooth-pick. Cool then turn out onto plate.
It was cold on Sunday so we had a "burn party" with them before they had to go home. We have a bunch of papers that we've had for 3 years that either needed to be burn or shred. We bought a fire pit (even though our house came with one) and started the fire of identity theft prevention. We made S'mores too.
Nick installed a security system while he was here. It's pretty great. I really appreciate him. I feel a little more... secure. We even started putting Morgan in her own bed. Yeah, I realize she's almost six months and I maybe should have kicked her out of my room a couple of months ago but its hard for me and I don't sleep as well when she's not next to my bed.

This picture is of her in her crib the first night we left her in her own room. It only lasted until about 12 (or maybe 2am) but it was a start.

No comments: