Friday, April 29, 2011

My Royal Birthday

My birthday has always been a big deal to me. I'm usually not a "princess" type of girl, except when it comes to April 29th (and sometimes the rest of the month before). I should have known something was not right when I learned, months ago, that it was going to host the Royal Wedding as well as Me. There is just not room for two princesses on this day. So, I am officially declaring that my birthday will have to be celebrated on a different day. Here's why...

Last night I get a call from Tom, who's supposed to be on a flight from Atlanta to Denver. "My plane is delayed but I should still be able to catch the connecting flight home." No problem. I get another phone call later saying that the Denver to Boise flight left without him and he wouldn't be home until tomorrow (my birthday!). Okay, still not a huge deal, but I had to cancel my running plans at 8:00 because I wasn't going to take Morgan that early in the morning on one of the coldest April 29ths in history (anywhere). I still could go get my drivers license, lunch, pedicure and dinner.

So Morgan and I picked Tom up at 11:15, went to Tucanos for lunch, then to the DMV. I got the second question on the test wrong so there I was at question number 3 and 50% wrong -- not a good way to start since I'd already not passed the test once (embarrassing, I know). However, I did finish and only missed five (with a seven limit) so I was able to get a new license (good thing too... my UT one expired today). So I paid my dues and went to the blue wall to get my picture taken. I had previously spent an hour getting ready and when I looked in the mirror I thought I looked pretty darn great. Unfortunately the camera didn't think so. The lighting was off and my hair looks like I have a really bad dye job (which isn't true--I have a really good one!).

After the DMV, Tom told me that he had to work. That meant I got to babysit, which meant no pedicure. I was totally bummed. First no exercise then no pedicure... and spending an hour at the DMV wasn't exactly fun. So I stayed home with Morgan for a few hours wallowing in self pity until I decided to take her to the movie. On the way I called my superfriend, Sarah and cried to her (real self pity tears, you know) and felt better when we got to the movie. We went to Rio (which I was expecting to be about a dog -- don't ask me why -- but it was about a bird and birds freak me out so I was okay with leaving after 20 minutes of trying to get Morgan to sit and pay attention). I think it probably would have been a fun movie, but my little girl wasn't cooperating.

We went back home and Tom came out to talk to me but I just started crying again because my day wasn't turning into my Royal day like I wanted it to. Then he felt bad and took Morgan to buy me a present (yeah, we don't really plan ahead with gifts in the Rich household). While they were gone I decided to go running to get the endorphins flowing so I would stop with the self pity. Tom and Morgan got home just after me and Tom surprised me with a mani-pedi tomorrow at the most expensive salon in the county, which I made him cancel (with more tears) and get refunded because 1) I am totally fine paying $25 to the Vietnamese ladies down the street and I'd rather spend the rest of the money on a new wardrobe for him, and 2) because I know he only bought it because he felt bad because I was feeling sorry for myself.

To end the day we were going to go out to eat with our friends but there was a miscommunication about the babysitter so at 5:30 we didn't have one and I was crying again because we couldn't go out to eat (it's totally irrational, I know, but it's MY day -- any other day this would not have been an issue). So Tom and I started calling around and we finally found a girl that could babysit last minute for us and we went out with our friends. It was a great dinner and a positive way to end the day. However, I made Tom wait to give me a present until tomorrow when I'm celebrating 31 with a pedicure.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

ahhh kelli!!! so sorry about the not so good turn out of the day!! You totally need to rely on me more for babysitting. We could have totally watched her.
Happy birthday again TOMORROW :)

Britney said...

Oh im sorry your day went so wrong. I would have cried too! Hope you are feeling better and that your pedicure turned out great ;) Happy Birthday! Love you!

The Knudsen Family said...

I am sorry that you had such a rough day. I am glad that it ended ok though and you got to go to dinner. Isn't it sad how the older we get the less exciting b-days are. Hope you had a great pedicure.