Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Book of Mormon in April

Let me tell you about my friend Natalie. I first met her on the day I arrived into the mission field in the Washington DC North mission almost ten years ago (this summer). She is one of those BFF's you can go a year without talking to but when you do talk, nothing has changed between you. She's super spiritual, but not weird (she's very fun and outgoing, in fact). She was what I describe as a "well rounded missionary" (okay, I stole the description from Sister Garff) and she is that way now. She has a husband, three kids, teaches aerobics and has a book club. You know the type.

Anyway, I was reading Natalie's blog last month and she told about how her stake president (or someone to that extent) extended a challenge to their stake to read the entire Book of Mormon in one month. Of course she did it and she wrote about finishing at the end of March. Back up... at the beginning of March/end of February she invited her blog readers to read the BOM with her that month. I wasn't ready for the challenge then. So, back to end of March, it was eating at me. You know, like when you feel like you should share your testimony in church during the entire meeting and end up finally doing it with five minutes to spare.

I decided to take the challenge and do it in April. I started on conference Saturday and knew I would finish when I finished 2nd Nephi later that week, then Alma the next week. I finished reading Moroni today and I can say that I read the ENTIRE Book of Mormon in April of 2011 (the first time to actually finish since my mission). It really is a different book when you read it through that fast. It was amazing to get the entire story that quickly. Granted, I'm not a scriptorian by any means, but I do have a desire to be a better person and I feel closer to my savior. I love this book!

I'm not going to extend a challenge to anyone to do it, but if you are feeling like you aren't as close to Christ as you would like to be (or once were), this is a great way to start.

No comments: