Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Admit It

I hesitate to post this blog but since it is my blog I can write my opinion without anyone being offended, hopefully.

I watched the Micheal Jackson memorial service today. Well, I had it turned on while I cleaned, fed the baby, myself, etc.

It's interesting how somebody so nonhuman is really a human. While I wasn't that into the people who spoke or sang, I did like some of the songs. I mean really, who doesn't like Micheal Jackson's songs?

If you didn't see it, most of the people who spoke were African American and it seemed like everyone talked about how he was the catalyst for black people to become accepted as media icons in this country. One guy even gave him credit for Obama being the president. Yeah, kind of a stretch.

The saddest was when his daughter wanted to say some impromptu words. She said that he was the best daddy in the world, then started crying and ran into her aunt's arms. Sad.

A few days ago I heard someone (on a clip from Black Entertainment Television, of course) say something to the extent that he was one of "their people" to cross over to gain white fans. I think he did use the words, "our people." Why is it not racist for a black person to say that? Why can there be a Black Entertainment Television without it being racist? Why not a W.E.T. or a Y.E.T. (yellow)? It seems racist to me in an anti non-black way.

I am tired of everyone and everything talking about Micheal Jackson but I am also one of those people who was sucked into the publicity. Too bad he didn't have this much positive publicity before he died. I would have bought a ticket to his concert.

Anyway, I'm not writing this because I loved Micheal Jackson or as a tribute to him. I just want to document some of my thoughts about the event because I think it is one that may go down in history, like the death of Princess Diana.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sound like you had a fun 4th. cute pictures of morgan with her patriotic outfit on.