Sunday, June 6, 2010

6 Days to Ironman 70.3

If you blogstalk me (kidding -- but I totally blogstalk a bunch of people) you might remember that I am doing a half Ironman next Saturday. I started a separate blog for that but it was way to boring to continue to update. Anyway, I have been training for this sucker for a while -- like 5 months -- and it's finally here! Yesterday I had Tom take me to Lucky Peak (the reservoir where the swim will happen) so I could get a feel for the water. I had my wetsuit on all snugly and uncomfortably and took off just as the YMCA group was finishing. I got in the water and my feet and hands went numb in the 57 degree wetness. I started swimming but didn't dare put my face in the water. Why? Because I didn't want to see a fish. I don't know what it is about being in the water alone but I swear the littlest carp would have been the Jaws equivalent in my little head. Oh, don't worry about me being alone in the water and drowning. My wetsuit is buoyant. I tried it out. I just went vertical in the water (that was too deep to touch bottom) and I didn't sink. So I guess that means that as long as I propel myself forward for the 1.2 mile swim I will finish. But I'll be honest. I'm very nervous. Oh, I also didn't put my face in the water because it was too cold. Who likes a numb face?

After the swim I rode my bike home (21 miles). I'm feeling confident in the bike ride. Not that I'll be fast but I think with enough Ibprofen I'll make it to the run transition within 4 and 1/2 hours. Hopefully I'll have a lot of adrenaline and be able to do it a lot faster... okay, even a little faster. This time I have a road bike, not a mountain bike, which will help with speed.

I got home and fed Morgan, grabbed a Rx for my mom (who was then visiting with my sister and some cousins but that is another story) and ran 4 miles. I was feeling pretty good during the run. If only I'll feel that good during the 13.1 of the race after the 56 mile bike and 1.2 mile swim. I'd love to finish in under 7 hours but I'll be happy to finish before the time runs out, which, I think, is 8 1/2 hours.

2 comments:

Susanna said...

Good luck Kelli! You go girl!

The Parker Family said...

Good Luck Kelli, You'll do great :)