Thursday, September 10, 2009

Green Bay, Wisconsin

Last weekend we went to visit Tom's dad and brother in Green Bay. This was Morgan's third trip flying, and she did great again. We had a long layover in Minnesota so our total travel time was around 8 hours to get there and about the same back home.

We hung out and visited for the first couple of days. Of course we went out to eat a lot. We went to Texas Roadhouse for Shell's birthday and that's when I decided I needed to buy a new camera. I had left mine home because it is big and bulky so we went to Best Buy and got a sleek little phone-sized Cannon with HD video and a hand full of other totally necessary electronic options that I may never use.

Robb and Shell gave us lots of hand-me-down clothes and a Johnny Jumper that Lily used when she was a baby. Morgan is still a tad small, but she'll soon catch on to the jumping fun.

On Sunday we went to a couple of hours of church, then to Robb and Shell's for dinner. Shell made a super delicious pork dish for which I need to get the recipe. Then we went outside and talked around the fire pit while Tom and Robb played guitar.

Monday was Labor Day so we went to a county fair about an hour outside of Green Bay. It was super cool. I'm from the country so it shouldn't have been as neat as it was, but I was so amazed at how big the cows were. I had to get my picture with one. Look at this thing! It's as tall as I am. They don't come like that where I'm from.

I tasted my first funnel cake. I heard that it is un-American to have never tried a funnel cake. If you've never had one, it is cake batter poured through a funnel into a boiling hot pan of grease, cooked until golden brown, then covered with your topping of choice. I chose Bavarian cream and chocolate. It was very yummy but made me gag at the same time. I attribute the gagging to all of the grease that filled my mouth when I bit down on the cake.

One day last month I mentioned to Tom how obvious the blood veins are in my "milkers" (to be discreet). When we were walking down the cow isle at the fair, Tom pointed out this cow and said, "honey, you don't have a problem."

After the fair, Tom's dad and step mom took us to a Chinese buffet. It was very nice of them but I was still gagging a little from the greasy funnel cake. This is a picture of Robb and Lily.

The day we left, we took Ralph, Robb and Shell to dinner. We were going to take them for sushi but, much to Tom's dismay, the sushi place didn't open until 4 and it was 1 when we went. We ended up eating Mexican. Morgan tried the lemon. I think she liked it.

We said our goodbyes and drove to the airport. We had another layover in MN so I had Tom and Morgan pose for this picture.

1 comment:

The Knudsen Family said...

That sounds like a fun trip. That is a pretty big cow. That last picture of Tom and Morgan is so funny.