Sunday, February 13, 2011

Savannah

Yesterday we were able to take the day and drive to Savannah, Georgia. Since I've been here I read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It's a story that takes place in Savannah. I don't recommend it for the conservative readers because surprise, the main guy is gay (and you don't find out until the middle of the book) and he kills his lover. Yeah, not usually the type of book I read but I have a hard time quitting in the middle. I'm not very good at walking out of movies either, don't judge (or do... whatever). So we went on our own little driving tour of the city. It's so cute! The Mercer house was the house of the book I read so I had to take a picture of that (I don't know why since I googled it when we got home and found a thousand of the same picture).

Anyway, we got there early to get our names on the reservation list for
Paula Deen's restaurant, The Lady and Sons. We concluded that it was probably once a very good place to eat but since she has taken off professionally and the place is constantly booked, they are trying to keep up with the numbers over making it a true Paula Deen type of meal. I will say, though, that the fried chicken was the best. So was the creamed corn. Over all I'd say it was an average place to eat. Not bad, not the best.

We walked along the river and bought a few pounds of Savannah pralines to give away to certain people (and eat).
We went to a park and put a dollar in a bucket for a man playing the saxophone and flute. Then he played Twinkle, Twinkle and some other songs for Morgan.

Before we left we had to go across the river to the South Carolina side so Tom could check it off his list of states. I made him pull over for a picture at the state sign. That's our rental car. Morgan calls it a bus. Pardon my snobbery but I'm a little embarrassed to be seen in it. Who buys the Cube anyway? Don't even get me started on the aerodynamics. But at least it has done its job for the month. I will be happy to get my SUV back when we get home.


Fun day!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

hahaha i hate those cube cars too! at first i saw the pic and felt bad that i hated them cause Tom had one haha. phew!

fun stuff!!